Hi all,
Took a ride to Fort DeSoto today by way of Redington Towers (take Rt.
694-Park Blvd-west to Gulf Blvd-south and turn left. The 3 tall-building
Condo is on the right, going south) The Peregrine Falcon seen there of
late was perched on a ledge atop the right hand building facing the Gulf.
A Life bird for me. Wish they were all so easy!
Upon arriving at Ft. DeSoto I stopped at the Mulberry tree area where I
bumped into Lyn Atherton and a group of other birders. Between us we
spotted a Bay-Breasted, Tennessee, Palm, and Parula Warblers and a
Northern Yellowthroat, Catbirds and Cardinals. Then I drove to North
Beach and ran into the same group again and we saw lots of Snowy, Piping,
and Wilson's Plovers along with the usual shorebirds, gulls, terns and
waders, and one lone Long-Billed Curlew. Then I went to East Beach woods,
which was pretty quiet except for a large group of Palm Warblers foraging
on the ground, one Redstart, a few Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, 2 Phoebes and
a House Wren. Driving back up the Bayway in the Cabbage Key area I
stopped at the cattail pond on the left and saw 3 Frigate-Birds soaring
overhead, 2 Bald Eagles perched in a dead tree and a Blue-Winged Teal, 2
Pied-Billed Grebes, and a Sora in the pond. I sort of count the Sora as a
life bird since it's the first one I've actually seen, altho years ago I
had heard them many times Up North in Massachusetts, but back then it
wasn't considered kosher to count a bird unless you had actually seen it.
 Another great day of birding!
Ray Smart
New Port Richey, FL