From about 9:30 until I left at 11:30 the Thayer's Gull reported last
night by Lyn Atherton was on the beach by the south seawall at the
Gulf Pier. It was content to stay there feeding on small dead fish,
and all who came had great looks.  This is a stunning bird in first
basic plumage. Several Herring Gulls were there also, affording
excellent opportunities to study differing characteristics. It would
occasionally fly a short distance, showing the tail and underwing, but
showed no inclination to leave the area with such bounty.

I hope everyone who possibly can will try to see this outstanding
bird.  You'll never get a better or closer look.

Margie Wilkinson
St. Petersburg, FL