Hi All,

Being in a 12 hour driving class yesterday (too many speeding tickets for
chasing rare birds) I wasn't about to get out, so early this morning I headed
to Sanibel where I bumped into Dave Simpson before dawn in the parking lot at
the Lighthouse. At first light we started walking down the beach. At 6:40am,
about 3/4 to 1 mile down the beach we found the Surfbird with a group of
about 75 Red Knots, this was the first large group we encountered. They were
actively feeding on Beach-Fleas along the edge of the surf slowly moving in
the direction towards the Lighthouse. Also, it was amusing to watch 5 or 7
Ruddy Turnstones nipping and herding the Red Knots along just as herding dogs
do to cattle; feisty little things!
Good Birding!,
Brian Ahern
Tampa, FL.