Bob,

Current evidence finds that migrants are also limited by water and not just energy reserves.  In fact, for some species, water may be more of a limiting factor for the distance that a
particular bird can migrate.  Have you ever tried offering water to warblers when they alight on your boat?  If not, it would be interesting to see how thirsty some of those little jobs might
be.

Michael Meisenburg
Archer, FL