I arrived at Snake Bight at about noon today after an uneventful
hike down Snake Bight Road.  This was the first time in some
weeks that Iíve been there during a low incoming tide and I found
the largest numbers of shorebirds and waders that Iíve ever seen
there. The Greater Flamingos were also there but they were on the
east side of the bight and blocked from view from the boardwalk by
a clump of Black Mangroves, and it was necessary to get a few
yards off the boardwalk to see them.  There was a dramatic
moment when a Peregrine Falcon attacked a juvenile Cattle Egret
as was taking flight, striking it in the breast and knocking it into the
stream that passes under the boardwalk into the bight.  The falcon
didnít return and the stunned egret regained itís footing and
stumbled out of the water, I couldnít see any blood on the egret
and it apparently recovered and was gone when I looked for it about
ten minutes later.  My new birds for this fall for the Flamingo area
were Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, and Ring-billed Gull.
This is the list of birds I could identify at Snake Bight, there were
thousands of others beyond my range.

Pied-billed Grebe -2
American White Pelican - 110
Brown Pelican - 8
Double-crested Cormorant - 2
Great Blue Heron - 12
Great Blue Heron (white morph) - 3
Great Egret - 75
Snowy Egret - 400
Little Blue Heron - 12
Tricolored Heron -  16
Reddish Egret - 4
Cattle Egret - 1
White Ibis - 100
Roseate Spoonbill - 50
Wood Stork - 2
Turkey Vulture - 4
Greater Flamingo - 18
Blue-winged Teal - 90
Northern Shoveler - 12 (FOS)
Green-winged Teal - 10 (FOS)
Osprey - 2
Bald Eagle - 1
Northern Harrier - 2
Peregrine Falcon - 1
American Coot - 30
Black-bellied Plover - 200
Black-necked Stilt - 140
American Avocet - 2
Greater Yellowlegs - 15
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Willet - 1,500
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Marbled Godwit - 150
Red Knot - 2
Western Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 30
ďPeepĒ - 50
Dunlin - 200
Dowitcher (sp.) - 1,000
Laughing Gull - 200
Ring-billed Gull - 5 (FOS)
Gull-billed Tern - 12
Caspian Tern - 3
Royal Tern - 2
Forsterís Tern - 40
Black Skimmer - 250
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Barn Swallow - 3
Palm Warbler - 2

The hike up and down Snake Bight Road was not very productive for
either species or numbers of birds, fall migration may be winding down
for woodland birds.  My most interesting sightings before reaching the
bight didnít involve birds at all.  Two Mangrove Fox Squirrels crossed
the highway in front of me a little over 3/4 miles south of the Rowdy
Bend Road trail entrance and some Blackbead trees were in heavy bloom
along Snake Bight Road near where it meets Rowdy Bend Road.  Here are
the birds I recorded today along Snake Bight Road.

Great Blue Heron - 1
Great Egret - 7
Snowy Egret - 1
Little Blue Heron - 6