From: Doug Santoni
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 10:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Ship-Following Peregrine Falcons

I was on a large cruise ship less than 15 miles off the coast of Fort
Lauderdale on Saturday afternoon (September 29), and watched a trio of
Peregrine Falcons follow the ship and engage in aerial acrobatics for an hour
or more.   The falcons were obviously following the ship.   They were also
quite vocal.

I'm not sure if other birders have observed ship-following by falcons or not.
  A few migrating warblers had been attracted to various potted plants and
other greenery on the decks, so perhaps this was of interest to the falcons.
(Warblers includes two or more black-throated blues, Northern Waterthrush,
and Yellowthroats.)   Also watched several green herons and one flock of 8
great blue herons.   I didn't know these species migrated offshore.

Doug Santoni
4100 El Prado Blvd
Coconut Grove, FL