I thought about the para-professional term, but I looked it up and that term
means help for professionals. However, aren't there para-professionals in
the legal profession?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandie Miller [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Learning Community Collaborations

Jeff,

I agree with you. Because we have an extensive training and certification
program, I am more inclined to call our tutors professionals. At the very
least, we refer to them as para-professionals.

Sandie

At 09:34 AM 10/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't mean to take this discussion off on a tangent topic, but
>Barbara made a comment that got me to thinking when she said
>that her program uses "professionals as tutors."
>
>I consider peer tutors professionals.  I even refer to them as such
>to the faculty.  After all, they are trained, paid tutors working in an
>academic capacity at a university.  I understand the difference that
>Barbara is making, but I'm just curious how the rest of you perceive
>your tutors' roles; do you consider them professional? pseudo-
>professional?  student-workers?
>
>Jeff

>Jeff Elliott
>Assistant Director
>Academic Assistance and Resource Center
>Stephen F. Austin State University
>(936)486-1542

Sandra L. Miller, Ed.D.
Director of Learning Assistance Centers & Support Services
Atlantic Cape Community College
5100 Black Horse Pike
Mays Landing, NJ  08330
(609)343-5631