Our Learning Support Groups are staffed by tutors in the key majors which
we are targetting: these majors are the Associate degree majors which are
our focus for Perkins grant funding--Business, Nursing, Early Childhood,
Paralegal, Rehab, Occupational therapy.  All group leaders are given
training in group dynamics, study skills, and regular tutoring topics.
They receive additional training in working/communicating with the profs.
They submit a short weekly lesson plan and evaluation form of each week's
session.  They also do in-class presentations at the beginning of each
semester in target classes in their major.  They work with one key prof who
also receives training in the concept.  The prof and the leader are to make
bi-weekly connections so the groups do concentrate on class specific
topics.  The groups utilize many of the group activities from the
Supplemental Instruction Leader Guides since they are similar in design.

Because of the Perkins guidelines we also incorporate goals into our groups
which address issues like increasing retention for nontrads or increasing
the gpa of males in Nursing, for example.  We just have our leaders focus
on these key points of our local Perkins plan during the semester.