Fun piece -
For similar work (which works off the alternative title given in fn 24 - "Why most of your Friends are Popular", see Feld:
"Why Your Friends have More Friends than you do". American Journal of Sociology. 1991; 96:1464-1477

Peaceful thoughts,
Jim

At 07:38 PM 12/5/2001 -0700, Mark Newman wrote:
Valdis wrote:

> Interesting article on ego centered networks...
>
> http://www.nature.com/nsu/011122/011122-7.html
>
> Original article...
>
> http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/publications/Abstracts/01-11-066abs.html

Thanks for the plug, Valdis.  Incidentally, the Nature piece was written
without any input from me, and indeed without even my knowledge, but is
nonetheless rather good.  I was impressed by their technical grasp.
Clearly a cut above your usual science writing.

Mark.

--
Mark Newman
Santa Fe Institute