Markus:

The problems you raise are present in many kinds of organizational research,
but are especially bad when you are studying perceived networks.  Like you
said, you are asking people to "name names."  I have found that even if
people are not formally educated about networks, they have a pretty good
sense that you are asking them for possibly sensitive "insider" information.
If they question your motives or trustworthiness they will not cooperate,
and you seem to recognize this already.

In my experience, the main reasons people resist are: (1) they are worried
that the data/results might be used specifically against them somehow, (2)
they fear that the data/results will be distributed selectively to benefit
an adversary, and (3) they see no reason to spend the time/effort required
to answer your questions.  So you try to structure your procedures in ways
that address these concerns.

In the US, the human subjects laws and regulations help a lot with item 1
(Ich weiss nicht die Situation in Deutschland).  I make it a big point to
tell participants about how the university monitors research, and that my
project had to undergo formal review to guard against risk to participants.
I find that people are reassured to hear that you have actually thought
about how the results could be misused and that you have taken steps to
prevent this.

I'm afraid the other factors are going to be more situational and mostly
require good negotiating skills. For example, in my dissertation research
(way back when!), I studied two organizations.  In one of them (public works
department) I was viewed with suspicion because of labor/management
tensions.  To resolve the issues, I agreed to give the union a copy of the
results (item 2), and got management to give workers an extra 30 minute
break to do the survey (item 3).  So I got my data.

Organizational climate is also a factor.  In my other organization (a
high-tech lab) I was viewed as more of a harmless nuisance and I had to make
no special provisions.  Yet it was the same study, questions, procedures and
researcher.

So perceived networks in organizations are simply challenging phenomena to
study.  You need to pick your organizations carefully, have some good luck,
and be skillful in resolving  participants' concerns.

SC

Steven R. (Steve) Corman
Associate Professor
Hugh Downs School of Human Communication
Arizona State University
http://www.public.asu.edu/~corman