Start with Rosario Conte and Cristiano Castelfranchi (1st ref: COGNITIVE AND
SOCIAL ACTION, 1995), Harrison White (recent: MARKETS FROM NETWORKS), Jim
Kadtke (in, e.g., PREDICATABILITY OF COMPLEX DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS), Roger
Leenders & Shaul Gabbey (e.g., SOCIAL CAPITAL OF ORGANIZATIONS), Neil
Fligstein, (THE ARCHITECTURE OF MARKETS), Kathleen Carley (most recently in
A. Lomi and Erik Larsen, DYNAMICS OF ORGANIZATIONS; see also her SIMULATING
ORGANIZATIONS, et. al.).  More abstract but important: S. Ossowski,
COORDINATION IN ARTIFICIAL AGENT SOCIETIES.
On request, I can provide work I've been doing (organizing a special session
at SCI, Orlando, July), some of it with Rod Smith -- we took a bottom-up
view, using economic and linguistic tools to study coordination and
effectiveness of teams and projects.
You may find John Sowa's work accessible -- but, based on Bayesian nets, it
ingeniously works from randomness to design (which has always seemed to me
the wrong direction) .
Interesting questions.  Good luck.  Share your thoughts.
Sam Leven, Ph. D.
President
Scientific Cybernetics, Inc.
7272 Wisconsin Ave.