Gayen,
If your hypotheses clearly require sociometric data, then you will have to find
villages that have boundaries that can be defined.  These will generally be
rural villages, and to make the sample sizes manageable you may restrict your
sample to women of reproductive age.  Two recent studies I have been involved in
were conducted in Nepal and Madagascar using these techniques (although the one
in Madagascar interviewed both men and women).  Many social network hypotheses
can be explored using egocentric techniques which would not limit your sample to
somewhat closed communities (we did this with considerable success in Bolivia).
I gather from your affiliation, however, that you want to collect sociometric
data in order to use matrix-based tools, thus you will probably need to find
relatively isolated villages.
A more productive route, however, would be to contact Larry Kincaid at the Johns
Hopkins University Center for Communication Programs (www.jhuccp.org) and ask to
work with the data he has collected in Bangladesh.  They are sociometric and
from many more than 6 villages and are already coded and published.  One paper
from the study:

Kincaid, D. L. (2000). Social networks, ideation, and contraceptive behavior in
Bangladesh: A longitudinal analysis. Social Science and Medicine, 50, 215-231.

If you are interested in sstudies conducted in countries other than Bangladesh
you can contact

Susan Watkins - Kenya (most of these data are egocentric, but I believe there is
some sociometric)
John Casterline and Mark Montgomery - Ghana
Barbara Entwisle - Vietnam and/or Thailand
Me - Women's Voluntary Associations in Cameroon.
Marc Boulay - Nepal
Kirsten Stoebenau - Madagascar.

- Tom V.

--