i would start with:

david krackhardt and jeffrey hanson

informal netowrks: the comnpany behind the chart.

harvard business review

vol 71, no. 4, pp 104-111, 1993

... and take it from there to all the rest.

regards, al
-----------
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Sonja Rispens wrote:

> Hi,
> Since I am new to this list, I will introduce myself first. I am a PhD
> student at the faculty of Mangement and Organization (University of
> Groningen, the Netherlands). The main focus of my research is
> upon the coordination-performance relationship within
> organizations. I will use SNA to study this relationship.
>
> The question I like to ask you concerns the interplay between
> formal and informal networks within organizations. My 'belief' ( it
> isn't more than an idea yet) is that there is some sort of optimal fit
> (or level of congruency/overlap) between formal and informal
> networks in order to reach an effective level of performance. Could
> you please point to me some references in the literature, if any?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sonja Rispens
> _____________________
>
> Sonja Rispens
> Department of Knowledge Management
> Faculty of Management and Organization
> University of Groningen
> P.O. Box 800
> 9700 AV Groningen
> The Netherlands.
> Tel +31-50-3637316

Alden S Klovdahl /   [log in to unmask]    / fax: +61 2 6125 2222
Social Sciences  / Australian National University / Canberra Australia 0200