From the "another demonstration of the strength of weak ties" department:

Dr. Garfield has kindly sent me the following list of relevant papers
on the "small world problem" from his ISI archives and notes that he is
very much interested in the topic as it develops. His contribution to
scholarly research by the development of citation indexing and analysis
can be appreciated by contemplating how much publication of (as Barry
neatly put it) the "heroic discovery of the obvious" the competent use of
such tools can forestall.

Betsy Van der Veer Martens

<snip>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:37:05 -0500
From: "Garfield, Eugene" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Milgram,Klenfeld,Garfield (fwd)
To: 'Betsy V. Martens' <[log in to unmask]>

. . .

I have a feeling that this topic (small world problem) might well be worth
subjecting to my historiographic software program and will work on that
soon.

Here is the list of ten papers that responded to that simple search. I'm
sure it can be easily expanded

Eugene Garfield, PhD. email [log in to unmask]
tel 215-243-2205   fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist   www.the-scientist.com
Chairman Emeritus, ISI  www.isinet.com
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T)  www.asis.org

----
General Search Results--Summary

Topic=small world problem; DocType=All document types; Language=All
languages; Databases=SCI-EXPANDED, SSCI, A&HCI; Timespan=All Years; (sorted
by latest date)

 Page 1 (Articles 1 -- 10):

      [ 1 ]

----
Use the checkboxes to add individual articles to the Marked List. Be sure to
click SUBMIT MARKS button before leaving page.
 Kleinfeld JS
The small world problem
SOCIETY 39 (2): 61-66 JAN-FEB 2002

 Rogerson PA
Estimating the size of social networks
GEOGR ANAL 29 (1): 50-63 JAN 1997

 ALLEN BP
DEFEATING DENIAL - LIMITED NUCLEAR-WAR AND THE SMALL WORLD PROBLEM
J SOC PSYCHOL 130 (5): 693-695 OCT 1990

 KILLWORTH PD, BERNARD HR
PSEUDOMODEL OF THE SMALL WORLD PROBLEM
SOC FORCES 58 (2): 477-505 1979

 ANDREWS HF
SPATIAL CONTEXT OF SMALL-WORLD PROBLEM
ENVIRON PLANN A 9 (11): 1253-1258 1977

 STONEHAM AKM
SMALL-WORLD PROBLEM IN A SPATIAL CONTEXT
ENVIRON PLANN A 9 (2): 185-195 1977

 LUNDBERG CC
PATTERNS OF ACQUAINTANCESHIP IN SOCIETY AND COMPLEX ORGANIZATION -
COMPARATIVE STUDY OF SMALL WORLD PROBLEM
PAC SOCIOL REV 18 (21): 206-222 1975

 WHITE HC
SEARCH PARAMETERS FOR SMALL WORLD PROBLEM
SOC FORCES 49 (2): 259-& 1970

 TRAVERS J, MILGRAM S
EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF SMALL WORLD PROBLEM
SOCIOMETRY 32 (4): 425-443 1969

 MILGRAM S
SMALL-WORLD PROBLEM
PSYCHOL TODAY 1 (1): 61-67 1967

----

  However, there are 250 papers to be found in a search of "small world"
which I shall pursue in the office. That is how one would find, as I did,
[ GARFIELD E
ITS A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL
CURR CONTENTS (43): 5-10 1979 ]. Best wishes. EG