Hi,

I'm new to the list.  I sent out a request last week regarding social nets
and organizational theory.  Thanks much to Sam, Kathleen, and others for
their responses.  However, please allow me to elaborate...

I'm looking for SNA work that is based on organizational theory predictions
of how the surrounding organization "should" behave.  For example, OT says
that manufacturing firms should have taller hierarchies while
knowledge-intensive firms should have wider hierarchies.  I'd like to take
it to the point where OT can predict how much (relatively) marketing, R&D,
and production departments should be communicating with each other, the
direction of the info flow between departments, etc.

Does anyone know of such work?

My 1/2-baked idea is toward an enterprise resource planning tool that
monitors social nets (of individuals, teams, and departments), week by week
in a way that is actionable by management.

thanks,
Doug Bryan
http://pavg.stanford.edu/people/bryan