I am new to social network analysis and believe it may be a useful way for me to analyse/make sense of some public consultation data I have been able to obtain. If somebody could give me some guidance, it would be much appreciated.

I am comparing 3 collaborative planning processes and have a record of all the “formal” communication (letters, faxes, emails, some phone calls) that occurred between the local agency and the public and between the local citizen’s committee and the public and between the agency and the local citizen’s committee (including meetings). In each case, some members of the public/groups only communicated with the agency and some members/groups only communicated with the committee while some members/groups communicated with both the agency and the committee. Since I have no data on the “formal” communications between members of the public and very little data on informal communications between any people/groups, I only have limited information on the local communication networks I wish to compare. Nevertheless, some kind of case comparison of the position of each local citizen’s committee relative to its local agency would help me understand the “informal power” of each committee relative to its agency collaborator. My question is, what is the best approach for me to use to conduct this kind of comparison?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide, Mark Robson