* I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." --
Winston Bennet, former University of Kentucky basketball forward.
* "There's a hard shot to LeMaster -- and he throws Madlock into the
dugout." -- Jerry Coleman, Padres announcer
* "The wind always seems to blow against catchers when they are running." --
Joe Garagiola
* "Wish: To end all the killing in the world. Hobbies: Hunting and fishing."
-- California Angel Bryan Harvey (flashed on a scoreboard during a game).
* "People think we make $3 million and $4 million a year. They don't realize
that most of us only make $500,000." -- Pete Incavigila, baseball player for
the Texas Rangers.
* "When your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it
to." -- John Madden
* "Our offense is like the pythagorean theorem: There is no answer!" --
Shaquille O'Neal, basketball player for the L.A. Lakers
* "Me and George and Billy are two of a kind." -- Micky Rivers, Texas
Rangers outfielder, on his warm relationship with Yankee owner Steinbrenner
and manager Billy Martin.
* "If you can't make the putts and can't get the man in from second on the
bottom of the ninth, you're not going to win enough football games in this
league, and that's the problem we had today." -- Sam Rutigliano, Cleveland
Browns coach, on why his team lost.
* "A lot is said about defense, but at the end of the game, the team with
the most points wins, the other team loses." -- Isaiah Thomas, commentating
on an NBA game. Bob Costas replied with just, "Uh...well...ok."
* "Just under ten seconds...call it nine point five in round figures." --
Murray Walker, BBC motorsport
* "The tires are called wets, because they're used in the wet. And these
tires are called slicks, because they're very slick." -- Murray Walker
* "You might not think that's cricket, and it's not. It's motor racing." --
Murray Walker
* "This is an interesting circuit because it has inclines. And not just up,
but down as well." -- Murray Walker
* "That's the first time he had started from the front row in a Grand Prix,
having done so in Canada earlier this year." -- Murray Walker
* "And there's no damage to the car. Except to the car itself." -- Murray
Walker
* "It just as easily could have gone the other way." -- Don Zimmer, Chicago
Cubs manager, on his team's 4-4 record.