<<Retention
established by rule, except you can't find the rule.>>

We operate on the principle, for confidentiality of state records claims
("these records are restricted because my boss wants it that way" won't cut
it), that if the department can't cite a state statute, Federal regulation,
or similar authority, IT AIN'T SO.  Ditto for "these records have to be kept
forever because X law says to 'retain' them."  If it doesn't say for how
long, and the State Archivist and Archives Advisory Board agree that they
should not be scheduled for accession - they get scheduled for eventual
destruction instead.

There's my two cents on this one.

Happy Monday,

Nina M. Osier, Director