From:   Glenn Sanders [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Monday, March 18, 2002 5:38 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Potential Historically Significant Records

Chris wrote: The archival profession is a discipline unto itself. Study
hard, learn the
methodology and theory and  take the certification test.

I agree completely on the first sentence. There are in our environment
records/document managers, archivists and librarians. I'm brave enough to
claim to be in the first group, I still have the qualifications but
haven't done any librarianship (except at a Strategic - sorry Larry -
level) for some years. I've been much too busy over the last three years
getting up to speed and new qualifications in EDM to get around to
archives. If I go further it will probably be into Business Intelligence
or the whole KM imbroglio rather than archives.

I'm NOT repeat NOT knocking Archives or archivists. But somehow I just
never seem to get the priorities right on the certification, my
organisation doesn't seem to give it much priority either (that's called
strategic alignment). If I need an archivist I hire one short term.

Cheers

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any previous
or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and they'd
agreed, I would have signed it "Bloggs and Co and Glenn". Or whatever. But
I haven't, so I didn't.