Ah this topic continues....

With over 1,700 records officers in state agencies and localities in
Virginia the word is sometimes hard to get out to everyone and frankly some
of the guidance that we gave in the past differs from current direction.  It
is the intent of the Library of Virginia's Records Management and Imaging
Services Division to produce both General Schedules and Agency-specific
Schedules that outline precise retention and disposition statements.  We do
not consider the time periods to be a minimum retention period that agencies
can lengthen at will.  If there is a strong justification to go outside the
guidance of the General Schedules for a given records series then the state
agency or locality makes their case for having a unique (Agency-specific)
schedule developed for them.  Usually if a change is justified for one area
it is justified for all and we will usually make the change for everyone and
reissue the General Schedule.  Of course, the scheduled destruction of
records is suspended when one of the following events occurs: 1) Audit; 2)
Investigation; 3) Litigation; 4)
Renegotiating your retention schedule; 5) FOIA request is in hand for
records that you have NOT yet destroyed.

For more information please see the following chapters from the Virginia
Public Records Management Manual (apologies to all that are non-Virginia
state and local government employees since this of course is not relevant to
you).

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/state/records/manuals/00m-ch3.htm
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/state/records/manuals/00m-ch5.htm

C. Preston Huff, CRM, CA,
State Records Administrator / Director, Records Mgmt and Imaging Svcs. Div.
The Library of Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
(804) 692-3607