From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 9:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: "Retain a minmum of ..."

I find general schedules very useful.  They are provided by the Records
Management Division of the Virginia State Library to localities in Virginia.
Though the retention periods are meant as minimum we enforcde them as much
as possible.  We go over the schedules with the various departments in our
jurisdiction and amend retention as need for those departments who can
justify the need for longer retention periods.

We stand firm on the minimum period for those departments who can not
provide us with an explanation of why they need to maintain records longer
than the State's recommendation.