Thanks for the plug, Wayne, but I think I understand
this in a different way. Also, I think every vendor
will have a different interpretation.

Web-based: The application natively works via a thin
client (Web browser). The application is designed for
a primary interface via the browser and all user
functionality can be achieved using the browser. I
think the critical aspect is that all user
functionality is achieved through the browser.

Web-enabled: The application can be accessed and used
via a thin client (Web browser). There is likely also
a thick client (software application installed on the
user's PC) which does everything the Web browser does,
plus a few other things that cannot be done through
the browser.

A good example of this would be an imaging system. The
core imaging functionality requires an application on
the user's desktop in order to index, use workflow,
etc. However, you can retrieve images, search, and do
some very specific indexing through the Web. That
would make the imaging application Web-enabled.

Document Management systems are all over the place,
but typically are being categorized as "Web-based"
these days because you can perform all user actions
through a browser. You don't need to install the
application to get the job done.

That's my understanding, but with the explanation that
various vendors will characterize things in different
ways based upon their definitions.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM