"what penalties are there for the person who destroys scheduled material
before the authorized destruct date?"

Here in Oz it ranges from being named in parliament, through various
financial penalties imposed by any of the hundreds of industry-specific
acts in state and federal jurisdictions, ending up with whatever happens
after you've been charged with conspiracy or obstruction of justice for
destroying evidence, or even contempt of court.

We currently have a debate going on one of the local listservs about what
sanctions could or should be imposed by a professional organisation. If
doctors and lawyers can be banned from practicing, wht not us? How would
that look on your CV - Glenn Sanders, BA, MBII, RMAA (expelled) ????

Cheers

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any previous
or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and they'd
agreed, I would have signed it "Bloggs and Co and Glenn". Or whatever. But
I haven't, so I didn't.