Ed makes excellent points again here.  In addition, I believe it is
important to not underestimate the cultural aspect of paper records.  I
don't know of anyone who is closing on a home, buying a new car, or any of
those transactions where there is a myriad of records created....that would
settle for a computer disk being handed to them (or data input) in lieu of
copies of actual paper documents!--the purchaser, business or government!
Even as costs associated with electronic recordkeeping technologies
continues to decrease, there remains a very, very deeply rooted cultural
attachment to paper records...for many reasons.  I just don't see the
diffusion of electronic recordkeeping innovation as something that is
happening as quickly as some imply.  We're not going to impose on a society
something they aren't willing to readily accept.

My .02

Gus Harris
The Univ. of West FL
Pensacola, FL