I choose not to market my program using the 'smoking gun' scenario. I market
our services based on intellectual control of information and the most cost
effective method of providing control and access. Our destruction is based
on when records no longer have legal, regulatory or business value. As far
as ethical concerns, my senior management is quite clear on my position that
I would never do anything illegal or unethical for the company and if need
be I would resign if asked to do so. We have to be sure we uphold the ethics
of our profession while contributing value and service to our organizations.
Any organization taking the 'smoking gun' approach to records and
information management is not a company I would choose to work for. Ethics
have gained ground in corporate America over the last ten years, but after
the Enron/Andersen debacle, they have become a top priority. Lack of ethics
will now definitely have an effect on the bottom line. So, companies don't
always do things for the right reason, but sometimes they are forced to for
the profit reason.

"and that ethically, a company stand by the
business decisions it has made and documented, even if those decisions prove
to be costly in court."

Rick, as far as I am concerned, that statement says it all. I'm proud to
have you as a colleague!

Dianne Hagan
Carrier Corporation