Janet L Nelson on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 10:51 AM said:

<I prefer not to even use the term "smoking gun" when talking to employees.
<This phrase just gives the impression of trying to hide something, of being
<unethical.  This is NOT the impression that I care to give to our
<employees.

I agree with Janet and the others on this.  I emphasis the importance of
consistently following the schedule and documenting that you destroy the
records on regularly scheduled intervals according to the retention schedule
so if you should need to go to court you can prove that the records in
question were treated just like all other records.

Thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.

Trish Broud
SRA International
Arlington, VA