>>We plan on keeping certain metadata elements for ALL records disposed
off.<<

Maverick,

Do you keep the metadata for every e-mail sent and received by city
employees after they are destroyed?  What about the metadata for each of the
individual records in a contract or personnel file?

Just one question for the legal minds on the list.  Do we risk accusation of
selective destruction if we decide to retain metadata on every record
destroyed?  What if some are missed?  Will we be compelled to produce a
record that is not specifically on the list of disposed records? What if we
only keep metadata on a limited number of record series, can we be accused
of hiding evidence?  Has the recommendation changed that we do not attempt
to document disposition by listing individual items but rather by broad
statements covering whole series of records?

Just curious.

Bill Roach, CRM, LA
Information Analyst
North Dakota ITD/Records Management