Actually I enjoyed hearing Nina's comments and her disagreement
with her boss.   Some of the best discussions and learning experiences
that I have had in archives and records are when individuals disagree
and can lucidly discuss their disagreement.    Jim Henderson has contributed
many good comments to the list as does Nina.

What I constantly run into are county officials who keep their records
forever, adding annexes, storage buildings, even "loans" to public libraries
and historical societies.    So long as they follow retention schedule minimums
they don't have to transfer their records to a state archives.   I also run
into
many remote counties and officials who declare they can keep records better
than those city slickers up in the capitol who will lose or toss their records.
Some of these folks have local "historians" who in their love for history will
talk the county official into saving literally everything ...

Whether you can ever get the "good" records out of these folks for the state
archives depends on exactly how diplomatically you deal with these people.
Frankly, it would be political suicide in many cases to pursue forcing such
offices to destroy records that they have chosen to keep far beyond their
retention requirements.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338