I'm fairly new to the records management field (3 years).  There is a
concept in records management that I struggle with.  Repeatedly I have heard
from RM professionals and vendors that one of the financial justifications
for managing the destruction of records has to do with ridding our company
of "smoking guns" in a legal fashion.  On the other hand, most companies
today preach the importance of their core values and the need for all
employees to follow a code that includes honesty, integrity and proper
ethical conduct.  At the risk of sounding naive, I'm suggesting that in
developing a business case or in defending the importance of proper records
management, that RM professionals and the RM industry should not be
considering smoking guns, and that ethically, a company stand by the
business decisions it has made and documented, even if those decisions prove
to be costly in court.  I'd be interested in understanding other points of
view on this topic.

> Rick Caputo
> Supervisor Document Management
> Equiva Services LLC