My thoughts on this situation is that naming and describing the contents and
use of a records series is the key.  While "Employee Time Sheets" as a
physical piece of paper or bits of electronic data may be the same or
similar in every agency how a particular agency or even part of the agency
puts them to use puts them to use is the issue.  Different uses may dictate
different retention schedules.

The individual employee's department may use it to document the hours worked
and that might require "x" years retention.  The agency's payroll department
may use the form to justify and document the disbursement of funds so the
retention period may be "y".  And the agency's or State's retirement system
office may use it to credit the employee's time towards their pension so
they may require "z" years retention.

IMHO, the "General Schedules" put out by a governing authority should have a
specific description of the record series contents and use.  If an agency or
part of an agency has a record series that doesn't match the description AND
use then that agency should not use that general schedule to dispose of
those records; even if the physical characteristics of the record matches
the general schedule.

This is why I put out a general schedule on my web for information but tell
my departments that they can't dispose of anything unless they have a
specific authorization from my office and from the State records Commission.

Gary Vocks
Records Management Officer
Southern Illinois University
School of Medicine