I find general schedules very useful.  They are provided by the Records Management Division of the Virginia State Library to localities in Virginia.  Though the retention periods are meant as minimum we enforcde them as much as possible.  We go over the schedules with the various departments in our jurisdiction and amend retention as need for those departments who can justify the need for longer retention periods.

We stand firm on the minimum period for those departments who can not provide us with an explanation of why they need to maintain records longer than the State's recommendation.