There's a whole literature on social support that shows that the stronger
the tie, the more supportive.
I especially like the Wellman-Frank paper in Lin-Cook-Burt's recent Social
Capital book because:
a) it does multilevel for this
b) works Homans directly into the discussion
c) i am immodest.

 Barry