Having not been able to get away for the 1988 Zenaida Dove, I bolted upon
hearing it's confirmation on Saturday, 5 May.  It was a 9 and a half hour
drive of 600 miles from Alligator Pt. to Key Largo.  Once there I was among
the 15+ persons that viewed the dove to our heart's content.  A W.
Spindalis (Striped-headed Tanager) showed briefly also, thanks to the sharp
eyes of John Puschock.

I had my life record filthiest motel room at the Caribe Motel in Homestead
Sat. night, or I should say Sun. as I stayed there from 2:45 AM until 7;00
AM Sunday.  The tub was full of dead bugs and soap wrappers, there was no
toilet paper, which I didn't need as my precious cheeks would never be
allowed to have touched that toilet seat--no way!!  I was outta there like
a shot at 7:00!

It was quite a social event as well.  I met several folks I recognized
through their postings, and some old friends I've not seen in many
years.  Very pleasant morning.  It was especially good to meet some of the
younger birders like Tom Rodriquez and John Puschock that are going to be
valuable to FL ornithology if they (hopefully) hang around.  Hank and
Dottie Hull were great unexpected bonuses, and quite a few others also.  I
thank Larry Manfredi for finding, and posting about the dove.

I checked out the famous "Lucky Hammock", but it was quiet at midday.  A
Dickcissel nearby in a field was singing it's heart out.  On the way back
Sunday I saw a light morph Short-tailed Hawk on Hwy. 29 between US 41 and
I-75, Collier Co., I think.

Sunday evening I chose to crash at the Rodeway Inn in Ocala rather than in
a ditch along the way.  Monday I visited a friend in Suwanee, and birded
the Lower Suwanee NWR including Sharid Island.  I heard a Swainson's
warbler, and saw a couple of Wild Turkeys, a hanging on Savannah Sparrow,
and that's about all.  There were absolutely no transients.  The Yellow
Flies were abundant, maybe more so than I have ever encountered.  This was
my first visit here since it became a NWR.  Glad we got it.  It is quite
extensive, and encompasses a good bit of swampy woodland habitat, as well
as coastal hammocks.  Given the right weather conditions, it has the
potential to be a migrant trap equal to St. George Island, with access too.

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL