At 10:46 PM 4/28/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Floridabirders,
>
>About 3 years ago, I had a female ruby throat buzz my front porch light
>every night around 9 p.m. (after dark). The hummer was catching midges and
>other small flying insects. This activity lasted for several weeks.
>
>Now I have a male ruby throat buzzing the same light before 6 in the morning
>and at times in the evening after dark. My presence doesn't seem to bother
>it as it flies within a foot of my head.
>
>Has anyone experienced this type of behavior?

Neat observation.  I remember your mentioning this a couple of years
ago.  No, I have not seen this in RTHUs, but I have seen Barn Swallows
flying about shopping centers, filling stations, and the like at
night.  Also House Sparrows feeding in these same conditions.  Years ago in
my other life, I watched shrikes feeding under the lights at Little League
baseball games.  Since I saw your report a few years ago I have watched
diligently for hummers at my home at night (feeders well lit), but to
avail.  I wonder if your bird is the same individual you had before.  Very
interesting, Jack.

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL