On Sun, 26 May 2002, Jim Stevenson wrote:

> You know, I don't know why it is, but blackbirds seem to exhibit partial
> albinism an awful lot. Maybe it just shows up more against the dark
> feathers or maybe there're just a lot of them, but I see one almost
> annually.

Ditto that, perhaps even semi-annually.  Here's a Boat-tailed Grackle at
St. Marks from November 2001 that is 90% white (scroll to bottom):

        http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/btgrack.html

I've seen other similar partial-albino Boat-tails in previous years at the
same spot (Mounds Pool near East River boatramp); and I've had Common
Grackles with one or a few all-white feathers in my neighborhood on a
couple of occasions.

Brad
Brad Bergstrom, Ph.D., Professor           TEL  229-333-5770 /-5759
Department of Biology                      FAX  229-245-6585
Valdosta State University                  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Valdosta, GA 31698-0015                    Home: 229-333-0743
           Home Page-- http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/