All this back and forth about the Kelp Gull is really
quite amusing.  This angle is right, but this feather
is in the wrong place, and the legs are the wrong
shade of chartreuse.  So much print to convince
ourselves that maybe it really wasn't.  Would there be
this much discussion if we had all been able to see
it?
Not at all.  Let's face it; we all missed a really
great bird because somebody didn't say anything.  No
need to sour the milk.
     This just shows how important it is even for
neophytes to report their findings.  Some, like the
two inch bird with a checkered breast reported
recently will be just poor eyes, but others will be
kelp gulls.

Steve Siegel