The Key West Quail-Dove was in clear view in good light for at
least ten minutes at distances from 150 to less than 75 feet, it only
flew when I approached it to continue down the road.  The best way
to get out to Elliott Key is by private boat, but the dive boat out of
the Biscayne National Park headquarters at Convoy Point will drop
off and pick up people for overnight camping trips.  Their phone
number is 305-230-1100 and their email address is
<[log in to unmask]>  .  According to the man who tipped me off to
the bird, he sees it most often on his first trip out to the work site a
little after 6:30 AM so being on the island the day before will allow
an early start and increase your chances for success.  The day I
saw the bird the crew wasn't working so at 7:40 AM I was the first
on the road.  My attempts to learn their regular work schedule were
unsuccessful, but it would be best to plan a search on a morning
when they aren't running up and down the road on their ATV's.  The
bird may be anywhere along about three miles of road which is
quite rocky in places, so sturdy shoes are a good idea, and there
were a few mosquitos on some parts of the road.  That's about all I
can give you on the Key West Quail-Dove tonight, but there is a
good deal more to add about my sailing trip there from Flamingo
and other bird and nature sightings at Elliott Key and along the way.

Bryant Roberts
Davie Fl