    Hi All,

      On Saturday, May 18 Ray Webb led a large group of enthusiastic birders
to the Sarasota Celery Field area in search of Barn Owls.  We arrived shortly
before dusk and waited--and waited--but not in vain.  We had large numbers of
Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks flying right over our heads.  Then a pair of
Common Nighthawks put on an aerial display that was a sight to behold.  Soon
a Northern Bobwhite stuck his head out of the grass to try to figure out what
this strange group of people was doing staring at an old abandoned house.
Finally, right before dark, the owl emerged and was seen by the entire group
(except one).  It turned out to be a great birding evening enjoyed by all.

           Russ Kruetzman (who did not see the owl)
           Thonotosassa