Fellow Birders:
       On Saturday John Puschock and I were supposed to go over to Elliott
Key to try for a sighting of Key West Quail-Dove. This list serve is to help
us all find birds in Florida. So to do that I must completely not reccommend
the reliability of the concession at Biscayne National Park (this outfit is
not the same as the actual National Park Service). They advertise that they
drop campers over on the Key, in association with their snorkle trips, and
pick the camper up the next day. We went out of our way to reserve with this
concession and they bumped us from a full snorkle boat on Saturday and gave
us bad information about the conditions (insects in particular) at the Key. I
am mentioning this so that other birders do not suffer the heart break that
we did.
       A very nice Park Service Ranger felt bad for our situation when we
filled out a formal complaint at the headquaters. He offered to take us over
on Sunday, but his schedule was limited. We took him up on his offer because
we wanted to try for the bird even if it was turning into a "wild dove
chase". We left at 10:00AM on the 19th, and sat for three hours, mostly in
the rain, thunder and lightning. Even though we did not see the bird the
chances are good that it still might be there because the timing and the
conditions of our adventure were deplorable. You need to stay over night and
try to get the bird when it is near the N-S old road bed gravelling, just af
ter daylight or in the evening. So we cannot add or subtract anything from
the earlier sighting of the bird (see list serve from last week). And we got
very wet to prove that point.
       We did get a nice flight of Blackpoll Warblers, Redstarts,
Black-throated Blue Warblers and excellent views of a female Connecticut
Warbler. So we managed to stay entertained in spite of all of the bad luck.
       We were told insects were intollerable. The truth is that they were
not bad at all, even when the rain stopped.
       If you are going to try to get over there find another way other than
the concession.We have asked the Park crews to keep their eyes open for the
bird. We will report anything we here, and be going back over if the bird is
spotted again.
Matt Reid
Coral Springs, FL.