A question for all of you bird enthusiast out there.  I realize that I could
look this up in the life histories of NAB, but I would rather share this
query with everyone.  Also, that would require sorting them out after the
move two months ago and who's got that kind of time?

Have Brown-headed cowbirds ever been documented parasitizing cavity nesters
before?

Last Monday, while monitoring Red-cockaded woodpecker cavities at the
preserve, our woodpecker biologist showed me a Great-crested flycatcher nest
with two young and an unhatched egg.  The cavity was located in a Long-leaf
pine that below the resident female's domicile.  He said the egg was larger
and had different markings than the flycatcher eggs.  My guess is that the
egg was laid too late and when the flycatcher eggs hatched, incubation
stopped and the egg never developed.

Any thoughts or comments?

David Simpson
Fellsmere, FL