On our 18-acre property, we got virtually no migrants this year, but there
has been quite a bit of nesting activity.

This morning, I watched a female Parula dive into a clump of Spanish Moss on
one of our oaks and commence to re-arranging it to her taste. The Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers have fledglings following them around, and the Swainson's
Warbler sang the other day after about two weeks of silence.

The Yellowthroats and Hooded Warblers have clammed up, but the Prothonotarys
are still singing, along with the Blue Grosbeaks and the cuckoos. Oddly
enough, the Indigo Buntings haven't been around since early April (last year
they sang all summer), but it would appear that a first-summer Summer
Tanager has staked out our yard as his territory.

Elsewhere in Wakulla County, Common Grackles are feeding fledglings behind
McDonald's in Crawfordville, and the Mockingbirds have fledglings both in
Crawfordville and at the St Marks Lighthouse. (And probably at a lot of
other places as well - Tallahassee should be called Mockingbird City.)

Speaking of Tallahassee, earlier today I spotted a Brown Thrasher on a power
line along Apalachee Pkwy, there was a shrike in the mimosa tree at the King
Buffet, and finally a Red-tailed Hawk flew over with a squirrel in his
talons (More power to him! :-) ).

And of course, the cowbird is still doing his "swell-up-and-squawk" act from
atop our TV antenna...

-S.P.MacCumhail
Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida