Glen,
We did just that in our paper on contraceptive use among women in voluntary
associations in Cameroon. We asked for their five closest friends within the
organization, and then asked whether, for each friend, they thought that person
approved of contraceptive use, encouraged ego to use, used a contraceptive
method, and whether each used a  traditional or modern method.  We found that
perceiving your friends to use was strongly associated with use by ego, and
perceiving that their friends encouraged use were strongly associated with use,
regardless of the accuracy in their prediction about whether friends used, or
whether their friends used by their self reports.

Valente, T.W., Watkins, S., Jato, M.N., Van der Straten, A., & Tsitsol, L.M.
(1997). Social network associations with contraceptive use among Cameroonian
women in voluntary associations.  Social Science and Medicine, 45, 677-687.

I'm examining a situation that in the past has measured "subjective norms"
(a belief that specific referents around you think that you should behave in
a certain way, combined with your motivation to comply with that wish) and
their influence on behavioural intent.  As part of my research I am
intending to measure the influence of actual attitudes on individual
intention to behave, in a technology context - using SN data rather than
perceived measures.

--
To learn more about my evaluation book go to:    My personal webpage:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html  http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

Thomas W. Valente, PhD
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/medicine/preventive_med/ipr/mph/
Department of  Preventive Medicine