As I just sent to Glenn:
 We are going into the field with a questionnaire that will try to get at these issues in a full sociometric design (with interest in HIV and drug related norms, networks, behaviors, infections).  We also did a previous study using some of the normative approaches and found that they helped to understand condom use within egocentrically-defined relationships, but did not do head-to-head comparisons with directly-parallel relational measures of norms.

If you want to see any of this, let me know.
best,

Sam Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes
71 West 23d Street
New York, NY 10010
USA
1 212 845 4467
Fax 1 917 438 0894

>>> "Baerveldt, Chris" <[log in to unmask]> 05/30/02 08:07AM >>>
Dear Glenn,

Perhaps you are interested: this year I got the money for a PhD-project that
resembles yours: THE DEVELOPMENT OF GROUP NORMS IN NETWORKS OF PUPILS IN
HIGH SCHOOLS.This project is part of the research programme 'The Dynamics Of
Networks And Behavior' (initiator is Tom Snijders). The project describes
and explains the dynamics underlying the development of group norms in
networks of pupils in high schools as well as the content of such group
norms. Longitudinal network data are gathered in a number of schools. In
September 2001, a pilot study has been started at three schools (complete
freshmen networks, 2 waves). I expect the data cleaned this summer. In the
pilot study we compare change in behavior (smoking, school work,
delinquency) of pupils with the (changing) corresponding norms of other
network members. Structur is involved here, because we focus on norm
groupsm, clusters of pupils with similar attitudes who might be expected to
sanction norms.

I am not sure what this might mean to you, but perhaps it is a good idea to
keep in touch. I expect to face some serious technical and theoretical
problems with this project, and it might be a good idea to discuss them.

Yours,

Chris Baerveldt
Utrecht University
The Netherlands