Hi Geoffrey,

I guess really it all depends on your conception of what SC actually
is. The big question is really definition - it seems to me that many of
the writers on SC are defining the concept in terms of its flow-ons
(for example Fukuyama and trust) – but not in terms of what lies at the
core. If you conceptualise SC in terms of networks / connections then
the problems of gangs etc that you discuss really are only problems of
a lack of connectedness with the rest of the system. Anyway, I
apologise because I am going off on a tangent, in terms of your
question, there are a number of references on the downside of SC from a
wide range of disciplines that are fairly helpful. Regards, Louise

Kulynych, Jessica, and Stephen Samuel Smith. 2002. ‘It may be social,
but why is it capital? The social construction of social capital and
the politics of language’. Politics and society 30 (1): 149-186.

Adler, Paul, and Seok-Woo Kwon. 2002. ‘Social capital: prospects for a
new concept’. Academy of Management Review 27 (1): 17-40.

Levi, Margaret. 1996. ‘Social and unsocial capital: a review essay of
Robert Putnam’s Making democracy work’. Politics and Society 24 (1): 45-
55.

Putzel, J. 1997. 'Accounting for the ‘dark side’ of social capital:
reading Robert Putnam on democracy'. Journal of International
development 9 (7): 939-949.