Newly back from vacation (259 species, 14 lifers, lots of great scenery),
I did a brief walk around my neighborhood this morning.  I had barely
gotten out the door when I noticed some activity in some nearby fig trees.
Most of the birds were Mockers, but some seemed to be smaller.

This automatically made them interesting, since the only small passerine
in my neighborhood this time of year is P. domesticus, which is not know
as a fruit-eater (ditto for its cousin, P. montanus, that I recently saw
near St. Louis).  Eventually I got good looks at 2.  Both were Red-eyed
Vireos (I triple-checked that they were not Black-whiskered).  I realize
that in most of Florida, RE Vireo in July is not considered a migrant.
Miami is a different story.  The nearest regular breeding location is 40
miles away (as the vireo flies) in Big Cypress.  We don't normally see
them on this side of the sawgrass in summer.

Looking in the big red book, I find that July 16 is very early for RE
Vireo, but not unprecedented (July 11 is the earliest).

--
John H. Boyd III                               [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Economics                             Phone: 305-348-3287