White-winged Doves are turning up in the northern peninsula with increasing
frequency during the summer, and the past month and a half has seen quite a
lot of them loitering about. I know of five sightings at four locations in
Columbia and Alachua Counties:
    * On May 29th John Ault saw one in his Columbia County back yard, three
miles SW of Lake City, and on July 11th he saw two.
    * Since June 16th, up to 4 have been visiting another Columbia County
back yard some distance from Ault's.
    * On July 15th John Hintermister saw three in his neighbor's yard a few
miles north of Gainesville.
    * On July 21st I saw one in my Gainesville yard. One visited my yard at
this time last year as well.
Despite the season, there's no sign of nesting. Is this purely a
north-central Florida phenomenon, or are they being seen elsewhere outside
the breeding range?

Rex Rowan
2041 NE 15th Terrace
Gainesville, FL  32609