Florida Birders,

For the 3rd. time during the last 18 months or so I have a hummer buzzing my
front porch light. This female is gleaning midges attracted to the light
just as the previous hummers did, both females. The others gleaned insects
generally after 9 at night. This one was very active at 6 this morning while
it was basically still dark outside. I do not know when she started to feed.
She ignored the hummer feeder not 2 feet from her until about 6:30 and after
I turned out the light. I stood under the light with her a foot above me.
She didn't stop her feeding activity nor seemed bothered by my presence as
she continuously circled the light. Have any of you had similar hummer
behavior?

On a second note, I was doing some property surveys on Big Pine Key in the
lower Florida Keys last Thursday. Back in a residential neighborhood with
only a few homes, I encountered at least 6 if not more White-crowned Pigeons
between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. The birds were very active even during a fairly
strong electrical storm with torrential rains. The neighborhood is west of
Key Deer Blvd. down a very rough unimproved road opposite the baseball
field.

Good birding!

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Fl.