Floridabirders,

Did a little kayak birding on the upper reaches of the Wacissa River
(Jefferson County) this morning (9 till about 12:30). I birded from the
headwaters to about a mile south of Blue Springs. Not many species but what
was seen was well worth the trip.

There was no small stuff moving or singing in the adjacent swamps, unusally
quiet. But did have 5 limpkins, several within 10 to 15 feet of the boat,
one with a very large apple snail. Also had a Barred Owl bathing in 4 to 6
inches of water within 15 feet of the kayak. Hopefully the photos I took of
its bathing and preening will come out.

Weather was warm (80s to low 90s)and very humid with a light wind. The river
gets somewhat busy after 11 in the morning.

The species seen were:
* Snowy Egret - 9
* Little Blue Heron - 14; 8 juvs. from pure white to 50/50 marbled
  and 6 adults
* Tricolored Heron - 5; 2 juvs and 3 adults
* Green Heron - 3
* Yellow-crowned Night Heron - 5; 3 juvs and 2 adults
* White Ibis - 4
* Osprey - 1
* Swallow-tailed Kite - 1
* Mississippi Kite - 1
* Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 heard only
* Common Moorhen - 4
* Limpkin - 5
* Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1 seen, several heard
* Barred Owl - 1 plus several heard
* Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1 either female or juv.
* Belted Kingfisher - 3, all males
* Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1 heard only
* Plieated Woodpecker - 1 seen, several heard

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Florida