Hey Floridabirds,

A new backyard bird for my little 1/4-acre wooded lot in a residential
neighborhood in northwest Tallahassee.

The strange thing is the bird doesn't belong here. His nearest normal
habitat is at least a mile away.

Came home tonight after a thunderstorm hit the area to find an American
Woodcock checking out my ground feed for the doves and also exploring the
very small patch of semi-open wooded habitat at the back of my yard. By the
time I loaded film in my Nikon and attached the "big" lens, the bird had
vanished.

Anyone ever come across a woodcock in a pine/oak habitat in a residential
neighborhood with small lots?

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Fl.