From: Florida Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Marie Gonsalo
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 12:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FLORIDABIRDS] golden eagle?

In a message dated 7/18/02 7:37:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

<< I just read in a Sierra Club newsletter about a group of  kayakers
spotting
 what they think was a golden eagle near Matlacha Pass, it was described
as
 significantly larger than  a bald eagle, colored brown and with white
 mottling. Has anybody else spotted golden eagles in SWFL?

 Jose V. Padilla, M.D.,[log in to unmask], Ft. Myers,FL 33912

Dr. Jose and other Floridabirdliners,

I was at Six Mile Cypress Slough sometime in the winter of 2000-2001 one
weekday at lunchtime when I spotted very high up and at a distance a
small
dark speck which in my binoculars turned out to be an eagle.  It did
come a
bit closer in range and I noted that no white was apparent on the raptor
at
all.  As I was watching it, it went down into a spectacular stoop and
out of
sight.  I've always thought it was a Golden.

Regarding the Sierra club member's sighting, the mottling, as others
have
mentioned, sounds like an immature plumage of a Bald Eagle.  The
Eagle's,
being described as significantly larger in appearance than a Bald Eagle,
could be attributed to the bulging secondaries of an immature B. Eagle.

For those not aware of this book, I highly recommend  "A Photographic
Guide
to the Raptors of North America" by Clark & Wheeler.  I'm not in Florida
right now so I apologize if the title is not quite right as I don't have
my
reference books with me. (I can't believe I don't have Sibley with me-I
feel
absolutely woozy with withdrawal).

Back in MA (for a few days) and headed for a whale watch out of
Provincetown
on Sunday,
Marie
Marie Gonsalo